Wednesday 15 January 2014

Flat Hunts and Bills.* (*Not the Nice Food Place Where You Get Good Brunch)

This weekend was spent in Manchester on a fly-by-flat-hunt to find a new place to live. London I love you, but it's time to move on to pastures new and cities grey...

Firstly, the questions. I went armed with a list of questions in the hope that the estate agent would think me highly knowledgeable and not try to rip us off. 'Is there double glazing, how does the heating system work, what are the additional admin fees, can I test the shower pressure..?' This last question was Steve's personal favourite.

This failed on the first hurdle when I forgot to take my notebook in to the first property and promptly forgot any questions apart from to ask if the rug was included in the furnishings. Priorities.

I did progress with my questioning tactics as the weekend went on, but also as the weekend went on the estate agents seemed to up their condescending levels. Yes, we both look about fifteen, but believe it or not we don't actually come bearing Monopoly money. Condescending estate agents are the biggest turn off in the whole entire world. I wouldn't buy the place if it came with a year's supply of free jaffa cakes.

Anyway, we finally found a beautiful little new home in West Didsbury, and it's just off a road full of cafes, independent shops and log-fire pubs. (Any Manchester readers, please give me your recommendations!) So excited. That's the fun bit, or the good grown-up bit. But now apparently I have to cancel all bills, cancel direct debits, set up direct debits, re-set up bills, take meter readings, switch TV licences, get a deposit back, put a deposit on, buy a car, insure a car and insure a flat.

Now I don't want to grumble, but if this is grown up life then I want a partial refund.

 It's a sad business leaving London, and I've absolutely LOVED the year and a bit I've had here. The places, my family, the people, the food. But I hear Manchester is the next best thing, and the opportunity to explore a new city is getting me oh so very giddy...
x

PS Sorry for the pictureless nature of this post. All will be back to normal next time! I didn't think a screenshot of my water bill would be all that riveting...

No comments:

Post a Comment