Tuesday 7 January 2014

In Bruges

Oh Christmas, where have you gone?! I do that thing of doing another thing straight after the main thing so you still have something to look forward to. Last year we popped off for a rainy weekend in Brighton, and this year booked two nights in Bruges in order to ease the pain of post-Christmas blues.

Ever since watching the film In Bruges, I've felt a need to go and see if I can rescue Colin Farrell. Unfortunately Steve hadn't seen the film, but dutifully put up with my shouts of 'that's where so and so happened and I'm SURE it doesn't look like this in the film...

After arriving and heading straight out for a bowl of mussels the size of a small boat and a chocolate beer, (I know), we went for a tour round De Halve Maan Brewery. Recommendation number 1. Great tour, and beer at the end. Perfect!

There are probably three main attractions in Bruges - the Cathedral, The Church of Our Lady, and The Belfry. Oh and Jesus' blood. We did all four, and The Belfry is a definite must. It's the one that features quite heavily in the film and is over three hundred steps, but you get a lovely, if not pretty nippy, view from the top.




The Basilisca of the Holy Blood contains a phial said to contain a cloth with the blood of Jesus that was brought to Bruges during the second crusade. It's only on display at certain times of the day and is a bit of an unusual experience, but whatever you believe you can't not go and see it.

Everyone we met was so friendly, and unsurprisingly spoke perfect English. That always makes me feel so guilty. So guilty in fact, that in an attempt to look slightly less English touristy I thanked a waiter for my meal in Spanish.

We'd booked in at a restaurant on the final night that had been recommended to us called Bierbrasserie Cambrinus. The food, atmosphere and thousands of beers was wonderful. I ordered a traditional Felmmish stew cooked in beer, which would honestly have been beautiful if I hadn't pre-bloated myself up on a selection of taster beers. But again, highly recommended. Just don't do the beer part.





It's such a beautiful place to wander around, and being such a small city, you can't get lost. Even I managed it.

I'm now on to the next mind-occupier which is trying to find a flat in Manchester. We've got one day and one day only to find a place. Wish me luck!
x


No comments:

Post a Comment