Friday 8 November 2013

A Little Bit of Life

This post is a bit different to what I usually blab on about, and it's based around four quotes I read yesterday which all really resonated with me. They're all taken from the Twitter account of Nicky Gumbel - Vicar, author, Alpha pioneer and all-round good egg.

I started the Alpha course at Holy Trinity Brompton last month as a chance to try and get some answers; to all those niggly questions about religion and life. The talks have sometimes thrown up more questions then they've answered, but the more I do the course, the more I realise that sometimes in life you can't get all the answers, and never will.




I read an article not long ago about the rise in having a so-called 'quarter-life' crisis, where people (especially in the city) start to evaluate their career, who they're living with and their future. And more often than not, begin to panic.


I'm not saying that I'm having (or beginning to have) a quarter life crisis, but I am worrier and an over-thinker, and all too often find myself whittling about the future and trying to analyse what my life decisions will eventually lead to.



Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination. The best is yet to come.

What I'm slowly trying to teach myself is that I can't control everything. I'm beginning to realise that sometimes it's important to stop, and evaluate what you do have. Some things you just have to go with. I've always been a strong believer in the 'everything happens for a reason' idea, and while I know that this often seems extremely difficult to comprehend at the time, I do believe that eventually things become clear. Ultimately yes, some days are just going to be a whole load of different kinds of rubbish, but that's life.


Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Stay where you are until God calls you into something new. 
God calls us into things, not just out of them.

I also recently read a blog post by athriftymrs.com about the difference between want and need, which I found really helpful. I don't shop in charity shops per se, but the message of the blog is very relevant and I think pretty important. It's so easy to be swept up into this culture of having to have.


The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. 
They just make the most of everything.

I really hope this hasn't come off as preachy or clichéd, as I definitely didn't intend it to be. I just wanted to share a bit of optimism, and hope that these quotes might brighten up your Friday.

Have a lovely weekend!
x


No comments:

Post a Comment