Wednesday 9 October 2013

I Made Bread!

I'm either getting creative, or I'm turning into a massive nana/housewife. I'm really not sure which it is. Recently I've gone on a bit of a  mission to cook more healthy homemade meals, make stuff, organise my bills and, most recently, MAKE BREAD!



I'm fed up of bread going mouldy (see, massive moaning Nana), and inspired by my love of GBBO I decided to hit Asda up for a bread tin and get making my own.

Now I started very simply, and with the help of the silver fox that is Paul Hollywood, made a rather successful plan white loaf! Oo and indeed er.

IT'S SO EASY! I don't know why I've never done it before. Actually I do, and it's probably something to do with the fact that I used to have other ways of filling up three hours of my life...

All you need is bread flour, yeast, salt, warm water and a few hours, all of which all comes in at about £2.50 max, and I've calculated that one pack of flour will make me 3 loves of bread. (You don't have to stand around for three hours don't worry, it just takes a while to prove but you can leave it be while it's doing its thing.)




I used GBBO tips, and this recipe over on BBC Good Food.

The kneading of the dough counts as my work out for the week, and it's actually amazing to get your head around how it all works with the yeast going all alive and it all growing and turning into something actually lovely and edible! 

I reckon the world is now my bread oyster, so I want to try out all the bread flavours possible. On the list so far:


Olive
Sundried tomato
Parmesan
Pesto
Focaccia
Cheese caramilsed onion
Nutty wholemeal

Cinnamon
Banana

Hooray for underage nanas!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment