Friday 27 September 2013

I Nearly Made Salted Caramel Brownies: The Recipe

I mentioned before in my 10 Things I Hate About Me post that anything I try to bake goes wrong, and just to confirm this, I managed to spectacularly mess up chocolate brownies this week. The proof is in the pudding. (Or picture... see below). 




I've been a fan of salted caramel since the day I first laid eyes and mouth on it, and it is definitely having it's moment. Everywhere you look, people are shoving dipping and spreading salted caramel on EVERYTHING. So... I decided to inject some salted goodness into a batch of brownies. Now I can usually make a mean brownie. Honest. But not this time. Firstly I had to improvise with the ingredients as I didn't have enough sugar (I know, I know, rookie mistake) and then I decided to have several phone calls whilst attempting to make the caramel, as I have no patience at all when it comes to baking or cooking. One pots and fridge cakes are really my bag. (Rookie mistake #2.) CONCENTRATE ON YOUR CARAMEL. 




The idea was to alternate brownie mix with salted caramel, but my caramel got carried away and leaked all over, under and around the brownie mix, before turning to some sort of hideous rock caramel once back in the oven. Waa.

The result was dry brownie with a teeth breaking centre surprise. Ohhh. I really am going to try this one again though, as it should be SO GOOD. I also want to attempt banana bread or banana muffins this weekend, so any help or advice on either or all subjects would be much appreciated. I've posted the recipe below for you to try and hopefully have more success with.


Mary Berry's got nothing to be worried about quite just yet...
x


You will need:

  • 180g plain flour
  • 3 tblsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 300g dark chocolate 65-75% cocoa solids
  • 150g unsalted butter
  • 220g light brown sugar
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • For the salted caramel filling:

  • 150g granulated sugar
  • 125ml double cream
  • 10g salted butter, softened
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • For the method, click here: Food Network.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment